Back To Christmas Fun
- 1 (10 pound) whole goose
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 8 ounces coarsely chopped prunes
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups diced apple without peel
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed, fresh, grated rye bread
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Rinse goose and pat dry. Remove excess fat. Sprinkle
with salt and marjoram inside and out. Prick skin all over with fork. Place goose, breast side up, in a roasting pan. Place
pan in center of cooking grate. Add 2 cups of water to roasting pan.
- Grill 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until tender and temperature
(measured internally) reaches 180 degrees F. To crisp goose, increase grill temperature to High for last 15 to 30 minutes.
Remove goose from grill. Reserve fat for gravy. Let goose stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
- To Make Stuffing: Place prunes and 1/4 cup white
wine in a large bowl. Soak for 5 minutes. Add apples, grated rye bread, raisins, lime juice, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Mix
well. Place in an 8x4x2 inch heavy-gauge foil pan. Cover with heavy foil and grill indirectly over medium heat for about 40
minutes. For crisper stuffing, grill uncovered.
- To Make Gravy: In a saucepan, mix remaining 3/4
cup wine, 1/2 cup water, 3 tablespoons reserved goose fat and 3 tablespoons stuffing. Press stuffing to dissolve, and use
as thickening for gravy. Bring mixture to boil; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Strain gravy and season with salt.